Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Jim good to hear from you too!

Jim wrote, "Seems like that would be a pretty small set of people."

Smaller than you can ever imagine. For a few years I helped about 1,000 junior soldiers do their taxes and I found it was very difficult to get the maximum credit.

A single person getting the full 50% tax credit for a $2,000 contribution to a retirement account just can't be done - mathematically impossible. For 2018 the max AGI for which a single tax payer can still get the tax credit for 50% is $19,000. After subtracting the $12,000 standard deduction that leaves taxable income of $7,000 for which the tax due is only $700.

Another problem is that just about every single soldier will have an AGI over $19,000. For junior soldiers some qualified for a 20% or $400 tax credit and pretty much all could qualify for the 10% or $200 tax credit. Still between the tax credit and lower taxes owed a $2,000 contribution could save them $400 to $640 for a contribution to a tax deferred account.

I remember one junior NCO that did get the 50% and $1,000 tax credit because he had been deployed for part of the year and had gotten married upon returning stateside. He asked if they could contribute $2,000 for his wife and get another tax credit. No for a couple of reasons. First she had been a student and second they didn't owe enough tax.

When talking to a company of soldiers about how much tax credit they would probably actually get, one junior soldier said the IRS sounded like Army recruiters in that they made false promises.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.