Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Jim,

I agree with everything you wrote. Being one of those who sold at what I thought was an overvalued price only to see the price keep climbing (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25763668), I have to say I'm going to adjust my selling criteria just a bit.

You know that phrase, "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." Same kind of thing with Blue Nile, just applied to a different situation. With 20/20 hindsight, what I should have done is either sold a portion or watch it like a hawk as it continued to rise until I could stand it no longer. Maybe (gasp!) use a stop-loss sell order for this type of situation. I'm positive that my valuation about what was needed back at $55 was a lot more reasonable than any valuation or expectation baked in now. The fact remains, though, I'm out $30 or more per share.

I'm (slowly, but getting there) coming to realize that valuation is the weakest of my list of reasons to sell a company, because Mr. Market doesn't have to agree with my model.

Cheers,
Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.