No. of Recommendations: 23
Jimb05,

I don't presume to have done nearly the research on that question as others on this board, so my thoughts constitute mere speculation but they they would be:

-Crowdstrike is still reaping a free marketing bonanza from their forensic work on the 2016 Democratic Party hack. I personally began receiving sales calls from them after that and I can only assume that they astutely recognized that was the time to put the petal to the metal in sales and marketing. This article hints at a 475% subscription gain in the following year which seems to have barely slowed down. https://www.forbes.com/sites/samarmarwan/2017/07/11/crowdstr...

-Since even before that time period there has been a security "gold rush" corresponding to the rise of organized crime and nation state hacking which has lifted all boats. Look at Cisco, Fortinet, Palo Alto, Zscaler and so on for evidence of that.

-Endpoint security has until recently been dominated by ossified dinosaurs (Symantec, McAfee) and political casualties (Kaspersky)so the field is open for disruption.

-Timing of their IPO could obviously not have been more favorable.

I don't doubt that Crowdstrike's tech is equal to or marginally better than other leaders in this space, but as far as competitive advantage, this seems to lie on the management and business side. I know that is not much of an answer, but even as a tech guy, I find myself much more interested in the business of Crowdstrike than the tech.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.