Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
jman,

You gotta distinguish between idiosyncratic, broker-specific rules --like VG's aversion to "day-trading"-- and the industry-wide PDT rules.

Vanguard is a sh*tty broker through whom to be trying to execute trades. A friend had an account there and was complaining about the fills he was getting. I told him about my own positive experiences at IB. He followed up and set up an account with them and then did test trades at both firms. Consistently, his fills at Vanguard were inferior to those at IB. That was a couple years back, and YMMV, as they say.

IB isn't the easiest platform to deal with. Plus, there are data fees that have to be paid. So a better broker is TD Ameritrade, and its DOM is a lot easier to trade off of. But here's a real surprise. Even stodgy old Schwab is a good place to execute. I've done a hundred trades with them in the last three weeks on some pretty illiquid stuff and have gotten good fills, even with market orders.

Suggestion: Every broker has strengths and weaknesses. Leave at VG the accounts you aren't having problems with and transfer to a better broker the account you want to use to do fast round trips.

Arindam
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.