Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Joel, that's a very clever idea. If one knows they will be changing jobs, one could pile on the contributions in the existing 401k to compensate for the gap in eligibility later on. I'm going to file that idea away for future reference :)

You can also play this game if you have two employers with 401k plans. Max both of them part year and then adjust if you need to to keep below the max.

Not sure about Roth 401ks, but for regular 401k's usually there is a higher after tax limit in addition to the pretax limit. So you may very well want to do the pretax and after tax limit for the part year. But most employers allocate funds with each paycheck or once per month. I don't think you can back allocate. Some will let you specify how much pretax you want to contribute each pay check and then automatically stop collecting when you reach the max allowed per year. That is probably your best course if allowed by your plan.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.