No. of Recommendations: 1
joelcorley writes about the safety of UBP-D:
I would beg to differ. UBP is a very small REIT with a market cap of about $160M. The common has only traded 2 blocks in the past 5 days. UBP-D has only 1M shares outstanding.

Joel, you should do a little more research before you oppose someone's
recommendation. UBP has a class A common stock, UBA, which gets all the trading. It trades 90,000 shares per day on average. The market cap of UBP is $650 million, not $160 million, and there are 2.45 million shares of UBP-D outstanding according to the latest 10Q, not 1 million.

Sure, UBP is not big, but why should that concern me? Bear Stearns, GM, AIG, Citigroup and Lehman Brothers were big. UBP is a very conservative REIT, in the safe shopping center segment, with good locations and a very good balance sheet. And on top of that, the preferred stocks makes up 44% of the company's liabilities so there is not a lot of debt in front of the preferred in the company's structure. That is what matters, not the size.

its price could drop drastically if someone has a sizable holding and decides they have to liquidate RIGHT NOW

If because of it's size, a large sell knocks the price down 5%, that is a positive - a great buying opportunity that I would not ever get in a large cap stock. Illiquid stocks make for the best trading vehicles. I've followed this stock for years and, unfortunately, I have never seen that kind of inter-day volatility except during the crash when everything was getting killed.

But REIT and preferred prices can drop drastically - as most did during the real estate / credit crisis of '08 & '09.

Yes, but UBP went from 18 to 13, much less of a drop than the S&P 500 despite its small size. So I don't concern myself with size, only credit risk. And since the discussion was about alternatives to covered call strategies, I maintain that 30% leverage on UBP-D (which gets you around a 9.5% yield) is much safer than any covered call strategy that might get you 9.5% at best. If you had done a covered call strategy on RIG (which was mentioned in the original post) in 2008, a lot of good that income from the $3 call option would have done as the stock went from $150 to $50.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.