No. of Recommendations: 0
Joel:"Google maps says it's just a 13 hour drive one way. There also appears to be a train route that if you leave Saturday night will get you there about 1:30pm on Saturday."

Good luck with that......there's usually slow downs, one weather event can add 8 hours.....and one accident can add 4 hours to that trip....and don't try it at rush hour......

Back in the 1980s, the air traffic controllers went on strike while I was in NJ for xmas week. I had to get back to work in Chicago..... I took the train....well, it left Penn station about 10am on Sunday and was supposed to arrive at 7am in Chicago......a long trip. Weather was bad, too

Well...... the train left 2 hours late. An hour out of Penn Station the train 'ran out of food'....seems that if you filled every seat.....they didn't have food for all or even tried to have food for all. It was a long, cold, miserable trip with sections of track down to 10-15 mph and through some of the most polluted places on the planet - air wise. Gary IN for one. Got in late, got to work late, but at least I got in. Some others who went to CA and further didn't make it back for days.

Fortunately , all the air traffic controllers got fired.....think it was Reagan.....

Yeah, it's along way from Chicago to NY....done most of it a few times, including this last summer. But not in one day.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.