No. of Recommendations: 8
joelxwil wrote "Fidelity is very difficult to deal with. Avoid if at all possible."

I couldn't disagree more. I've had accounts with Fidelity since 1980 - both taxable and IRA. They have been excellent to work with. If I had questions, the reps were always able to answer them. If I explained what I wanted to do, they always found a way to do it. And things that I thought might be complicated, they handled with ease.

My experiences with Vanguard, OTOH, have not always been so good. They've made some mistakes. Some serious, like the $200K that disappeared for a few days. Some potentially serious, like the exchange which the rep promised would execute on the day I specified but was actually executed several days early. His boss later informed me that he should never have told me I could specify the date of execution. Fortunately the price movement worked in my favor on that one.

Still have accounts with both firms, but if I had to choose it would be Fidelity by a wide margin.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.