Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I found that yesterday myself. I also asked the Controller here where I work (she worked for HR block and had a tax prep service of her own up until 2 years ago) about this. She said that there should be no problem in having one person or the other take the deduction. She did say that if the 1098 came in both names, to make things clean, a form should be attached to the return listing the other parties name, address and SS number to indicate that the mortgage, and liability for it, is joint. She said the form is especially necessary, when only one of us receives a 1098 and the deduction is being split.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.