Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
John & Cheryl, you're welcome; I'm glad you found the information interesting.

Cheryl I have a partial answer to your question.

I'm not an expert in anything, but I'm certainly out of my circle when talking about legal matters. I don't think legal concerns are the primary risk factors here; however, I a quick look into the eBay issue for you.

My research was cursory. I pulled up the most recent 10K and searched for the work "lawsuit." Please have a look yourself: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ebay/570341802x0x1929...

The principle litigation at this stage (eBay) is related to selling illegal or illicit items; patent & trademark infringements; anti-competitive and monopoly like practices. The big issues were related to Louis Vuitton & Christian Dior. These issues are most similar to MELI's Nike issue and not as relevant to portion you quoted.

As it relates to the type of lawsuits you quoted there are a number of suits with that "feel" surrounding the Paypal business. The number of suits aren't listed.

I have no idea how the legal system in the Latin American countries differs from ours. It may or may not be a significant business risk.

What I attempted to demonstrate with the lawsuits is that in Brazil just like in the U.S., fears of fraud will keep online commerce adoption below 100% of potential online users and will slow potential adoption rates. Think of this as support for my "the pie is smaller and slower growing than management would like you to believe" argument.

I hope this helps,
Nick
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.