Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I hope everyone is having a good summer...

Now, a little business. John Dorfman, who used to write for the WSJ and later worked for David Dreman, has his own value-oriented investment management firm here in Boston. John also writes a weekly column for Bloomberg.

In John's current column he cites several companies he likes that are cheap based on their free cash flow. John picks from prior years have done well, which is just more proof that investing in pessimism pays. You can read the article here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=auzMWiX0ZLbY&refer=columnist_dorfman#

Speaking of free cash flow, years ago I used to keep a file of the myriad ways in which the media and companies calculate free cash flow. I think I had 9-10 versions at one point. Some of the companies were especially aggressive, meaning they maximized every source of cash and minimized every use of cash.

Which leads me to my next point: Polymedica (PLMD). They win my 2006 "La Poudre Aux Yeux" prize, as Jim Gillies points out here http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24411196. La poudre aux yeux is a French expression (literally, powder in the eyes) meaning pulling the wool over someone's eyes.

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.