Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
John

I am just as pessimistic about this bill as it appears you (and Jim Rogers) are, but I just had a couple of thoughts/questions about some of the thoughts you tossed out there.

With a President from Illinois and a longstanding push from Montana and Wyoming I don't think you need to worry about a lack of pet projects for coal.

However, if you are concerned about the environment as well as ensuring our power future, I wouldn't put too much fanfare behind coal liquification. It is ridiculously energy and water intense, creating a huge carbon footprint.

As for your argument for more roads instead of rail, I'd be interested to see any articles/data you have on the issue. I've read a few articles that argue that more roads rarely lead to less traffic and can even lead to less efficient travel due to human judgement errors.

Additionally, there may be way more toll roads out there in Cali since the last time I was there, but to argue that rail is bad because it requires subsidies is ignoring the continuous repair and upgrading the road system requires (the funding for which comes from taxpayers, unless you are on a toll road).

Nate
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.