Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
John

I like the theory, but it doesn't provide me much peace of mind. If we are truly at a bottom because FASB is reassessing its requirements for reporting the value of assets, we haven't learned anything.

Fair value reporting has existed since the early 90s and FASB 133 (1998) addressed the reporting of derivatives. There were several amendments to 133 in the following years for various reasons (new instruments to address, fine tuning).

While 157 went into effect on Nov 15, 2007, it was announced over a year earlier and I can guarantee banks didn't wait for the last day to get their accounting in line. The markets rose for a year after the announcement of 157 and actually started their decline a month before it went into effect.

Personally, I think the major destabilization came from these banks putting crap on their books. Just because they can now go back to making up values for assets doesn't solve anything.

If you are correct and this rally is based on the neutering of 157, we'll be back here some day.

Nate
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.