Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 23
John R.:In recent days we have been hearing the word mosaic quite often. The various methods coupled with sensitivity studies combine to fill in that mosaic. We do not have a full picture yet. But we have much better insights when we use all of the available methods and seek understanding as to why they give the results that they do.

I have a question. This is a serious question, and although no one has to answer please don't think that I am being argumentative or anything but sincere. Here goes: At the end of the day, when all of these various methods of estimating fSWR have been examined, do you think that the time and effort spent will have been worth it?

I mean, if I spent 100 hours of my time examining various ways of estimating the fSWR and I came up with a range of values. For example, if the various ways of estimating came up with 3.5-4.5% as a probable range, what would I have gained from undertaking the effort? I would have a considerable amount of understanding about what factors affect the fSWR, but I would not have a fundamentally different view of the fSWR than I do now. It is roughly 4%. If the results come back to be 2%, then I think I would rather retire at 4%, hope the future is no worse than the past, and enjoy myself. And if it turns out that the future is worse than the past, then I will go on with life, living worse than before, along with everyone else, as the future will be worse than the past.

In any event, I will have spent 100 hours of my life learning more about something that really won't make a huge difference in my life one way or the other. 100 hours away from golf, away from the family, and 100 hours not sleeping!

Do you think you will find something meaningful enough to justify the time spent?

st
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.