Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
John

Who would manage the funds received and disbursed by the "Health Care Tax?"

I like the idea (as I think mandatory coverage is necessary to address freeriding), but I think you'd have trouble convincing people you aren't creating a new government arm or growing government, which puts you back at (what I see as) the main sticking point.

You'd obviously have to deal with all the arguments being lobbed out there about government insurance and its bureaucracy and pricing power as a single central provider (unfair competition in the eyes of insurance companies).

I would assume, most young, healthy people would end up not putting in the work to find an insurance policy and would default to paying the tax, which means the government would get a nice income flow from the insurance industry's cherry demographic.

I personally have no problem forcing insurance companies to offer better customer service, but they are a powerful lobbying group and it is going to be next to impossible to get anything through without their approval.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.