Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 17
While I find no glee in another's untimely demise, I do think it ironic and a cautionary lesson that he died as he lived: travelling too fast for conditions.

I would love to respond to this, but the only responses I can think of at the moment would immediately be yanked by TMF.
All I can say is that you've mede it patently obvious that you have no clue who he was or what he was like.
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<All I can say is that you've mede it patently obvious that you have no clue who he was or what he was like.>>

I admit that I have limited information. Basically, only what he posted on TMF. I understand that he had some very admirable qualities. Most all do. It was obvious that he was fairly intelligent. He was not mean or discourteous. I am sure that he will be deeply missed by those that love him. If I had known him personally, he might even have been a friend.
Despite his many fine traits, his attitudes toward public policy were often misplaced,if not just plain wrong.
I offered that his solipcistic attitude may have in some fashion led to the event that killed him.
Is this wrong, or the truth?

*JR*
No. of Recommendations: 16
I offered that his solipcistic attitude may have in some fashion led to the event that killed him.

It's hypothetical....and unbelievably crass.

Abba
No. of Recommendations: 5
I think you need to crawl back into whatever hole you came from.

Eric
No. of Recommendations: 8
<<I offered that his solipcistic attitude may have in some fashion led to the event that killed him. Is this wrong, or the truth?>>

Even if your statement was correct, a little more tact wouldn't hurt. Emotions are probably very tender for those who knew him well and loved him. From the little I knew of him, he seemed like a very good man.
No. of Recommendations: 18

Actually, no, you didn't. This is what you wrote:

I do think it ironic and a cautionary lesson that he died as he lived: travelling too fast for conditions.

There is nothing in that statement that is "offered", it is a dogmatic assertion of facts. Facts that you don't even KNOW... as you also say I admit that I have limited information. Basically, only what he posted on TMF

And even leaving semantics aside - just because YOU did not know him in real life, doesn't mean that NO one knew him in real life. In fact, you know that other posters here did know him in real life. And, MOST people get a period of mourning before having to cope with detractors starting in, a period where they can get over the shock, come to terms with it, etc.

Your first post would have been better if it were phrased as a question from the outset - and also if it were posted, say, one month after his death. As it is, you just come over as mean. Not towards Dr Meyer so much either, as mean towards those who really did know and probably loved him.
No. of Recommendations: 15
I didn't know the late Dr. Meyer outside MF.

Yet I can conclude that the original post was crass and idiotic.

The poster can only speculate that the cause of the accident was "traveling too fast for conditions."

The poster then compounds his idiocy by generalizing this speculation to someone's entire belief system and life.

In a response, he even errs by describing Dr. Meyer's attitude as "solipsistic." This indicates a belief that "only the self exists or can be proven to exist." How could the late Dr. Meyer who showed great interest in sharing his opinions and hearing those of others possibly have had this belief?

Frankly, the matter of his death is not "cautionary" or "ironic" but simply and terribly tragic.

wolvy

No. of Recommendations: 9
I admit that I have limited information. Basically, only what he posted on TMF.

Well, then, I guess that excuses you from exhibiting any semblance of class.

I understand that he had some very admirable qualities. Most all do. It was obvious that he was fairly intelligent. He was not mean or discourteous.

Obviously, you don't have a lot in common with him.

Dean
No. of Recommendations: 7
I offered that his solipcistic attitude may have in some fashion led to ...

For someone complaining about solipsistic attitudes, you are REMARKABLY inconsiderate of other people's feelings.
No. of Recommendations: 14
I admit that I have limited information.

You've made that abundantly clear.

If I had known him personally, he might even have been a friend.

I sincerely doubt that. You are way below him in terms of class, tact, and so far, intelligence.

Despite his many fine traits, his attitudes toward public policy were often misplaced,if not just plain wrong.

That is your OPINION.

You were rude, tactless, and offered nothing but an assumtion that, on your part, was baseless and crass. I truly cannot believe someone would be so obnoxious as to attempt to start a political discussion about the traits of a man that just died with the people that knew him. Do you drink heavily or do drugs or or something? I can think of no reason anyone would be so completely inconsiderate other than booze or drugs. You give the trolls a bad name.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Ignore the troll.

Eventually they go away.

LuceLu
No. of Recommendations: 5
While I find no glee in another's untimely demise, I do think it ironic and a cautionary lesson that he died as he lived: travelling too fast for conditions.

*JR*

I find it striking you felt compelled to go out of your way to make such an unsolicited comment. In case you are wondering JR, nobody really cares what you find ironic......and no one really gives much importance to your analysis.

Go back to your sophmoric replays on the PA about the human condition you learned in your poly-sci books. It is pretty clear to me know one around here would have any desire to converse with you.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I admit that I have limited information. Basically, only what he posted on TMF. I understand that he had some very admirable qualities. Most all do. It was obvious that he was fairly intelligent. He was not mean or discourteous. I am sure that he will be deeply missed by those that love him. If I had known him personally, he might even have been a friend.

This will be the only post of yours I'll ever see again as you are now welcomed to my P-Box. But I will say this with as much malice as it can be afforded. It's a shame that people like Ken are the ones that go early instead of people like yourself. And when you do go I hope it's the most painful and drawn out experience because you don't deserve mercy.

Todd
No. of Recommendations: 8
This will be the only post of yours I'll ever see again as you are now welcomed to my P-Box. But I will say this with as much malice as it can be afforded. It's a shame that people like Ken are the ones that go early instead of people like yourself. And when you do go I hope it's the most painful and drawn out experience because you don't deserve mercy.

And, I trust that you wouldn't relish running to people that cared about him to rub it in, despite what you may think about him. That is what I found truly astonishing.....that he felt compelled to go out of his way to rub in the idea that Galt got what he deserved.

It truly says alot about where he is coming from and what he cares about. It was a good addition to you p-box.
No. of Recommendations: 13
Todd,

It's hypocrites like JR that love to assert that it's Libertarians and Republicans that are heartless, cruel, and don't care about others, yet when given the opportunity, they can't help but show their true colors. As much as I despise the so-called 'ideals' of JR, sandyleelee, and the rest of their clique, I wouldn't try to make some hay out of someone's death. It's just morally wrong, plain and simple, to those of us that have such things as morals.

People like JR are so wrapped up in their hate, envy, and spite, that I wonder if they realize that they have become a prisoner of their own ideology. I say 'prisoner', because how can you really be free, if you get up every day hating someone else? His profile says that his great book read recently is Stupid White Men by Michael Moore, so it's pretty clear that he's not only drinking the Kool-Aid, but intoxicated by it. Fine. To each his own. But looking to hurt others is evidence of a psychological (sociopathic?) problem.

I also find it interesting that JR leaves himself an 'out', in that he says he 'find(s) no glee in another's untimely demise', but if you read between the lines, it certainly sounds like he does. He leaves himself some plausible deniability, because he doesn't want to admit that he probably does want those of us not drinking his flavor of Kool-Aid to just drop dead. This from the 'party that cares about all of us'. Yeah, right. Actions like his speak so much louder than the empty platitudes they love to throw in our faces. They put politics above simple human decency. That's their problem -- all we can do is not get drawn down to their level. I'm sure he'll try to argue that somehow, we deserve this treatment for all the injustices we've heaped upon others. Whatever. When you can't step back from arguing your point of view long enough to honor someone who treated everyone with respect, presented his thoughts with a wonderful (and rare) combination of logic and fact, and above all, lived a life in service to others, it's clear that you have some serious problems with perspective.

Dean