Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I hold a brokerage account with my siblings as joint tenants. If we disburse the account to each of us individually, are there any tax implications I should be aware of?
Print the post Back To Top
I hold a brokerage account with my siblings as joint tenants. If we disburse the account to each of us individually, are there any tax implications I should be aware of?

Depends.

How did the money get into that account? Who put it in? Who has been reporting the income from this account?

--Peter
It was my father's retirement account that was taxed and then transferred to us. My sister is currently reporting the income on her taxes.
It was my father's retirement account that was taxed and then transferred to us. My sister is currently reporting the income on her taxes.

That's awfully kind of her. You all should be splitting the tax bill.

I don't see any tax implications from taking funds out of the account and transferring it to individual accounts for the three of you. The only impact would be if you sell any securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds) as a part of that distribution. Any sales would be reportable capital gains or losses.

--Peter