Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 21
...and will remove her music from Spotify.

Joni Mitchell has joined Neil Young in his protest against Spotify over its role in giving a platform to Covid-19 vaccine misinformation.

Mitchell posted a brief statement on her website Friday saying that would remove her music from the streaming service. “Irresponsible people are spreading lies that are costing people their lives,” she wrote. “I stand in solidarity with Neil Young and the global scientific and medical communities on this issue.”

Now, how about U2, Taylor Swift, Jay-Z and others who own the rights to their songs? Time to step up. Don't let the old folks do all the heavy lifting here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/28/arts/joni-mitchell-plans-...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry I missed that you already posted this.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Come on Mr. Zimmerman. Show them that an 80 year old still on the road can do this.
I forgot. Maybe he can't.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Come on Mr. Zimmerman. Show them that an 80 year old still on the road can do this.

I believe he sold both the rights to his music and the rights to his recordings (to two different investment groups). I haven’t seen the contracts (obviously) but I’m not sure he has any say anymore.

And where are Fab 4 (or Fab 2 & Fab 2 spouses) in all this?

AW
Also the great (cough, cough) Barry Manilow.
"Also the great (cough, cough) Barry Manilow."

Hey! Among other things, if we didn't have Barry, we might never have had Bette (Midler).

Ken
AdvancedDecline: Also the great (cough, cough) Barry Manilow.

Nope. Manilow shot that rumor down: https://twitter.com/barrymanilow/status/1487155470838104066
This is as much as I could read. You have to have an account and I don't want to deal with that right now. I'm going to buy Harvest Moon album in support of Young if I can find out he still owns it. Having trouble.

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/neil-young-music-catal...
Neil Young Sells Catalog Rights to Merck Mercuriadis’ Hipgnosis
Hipgnosis founder Merck Mercuriadis, who bought Young’s publishing, promises fans that there will never be a “Burger of Gold” fast food commercial
Neil Young has sold 50 percent of the worldwide copyright and income interests in his 1,180 song catalogue to Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited, the U.K. investment firm founded by manager-turned-investor Merck Mercuriadis. The move comes days after Hipgnosis, which has spent the last year snapping up music catalogs left and right, announced it had acquired 100% of Lindsey Buckingham’s publishings rights as well as Jimmy Iovine’s producing royalties.
----------
And I'm sure it was post earlier, but remember this:
270 health experts to Spotify: Joe Rogan’s Covid misinformation is ‘a sociological issue of devastating proportions’
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/14/experts-confront-spotify-ove... <snip>
Hundreds of professors, scientists, doctors and health care workers called out Spotify this week, accusing the streamer’s most popular podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, of spreading Covid misinformation...professionals said the podcast was “broadcasting misinformation, particularly regarding the Covid-19 pandemic.” The letter then asked Spotify to “take action against mass-misinformation events” on its platform...The letter specifically highlighted a December 31 episode featuring Dr. Robert Malone, a virologist who was recently banned from Twitter for spreading vaccine falsehoods. On the episode, Malone told host Joe Rogan that there had recently been an “explosion of vaccine-associated deaths,” and that hospitals are financially incentivized to label Covid as a cause of patient deaths. He also said leaders are using “free-floating anxiety” to “hypnotize” the public.