No. of Recommendations: 1
Josh, I am not absolutely 100% sure about anything. I think I'm close to being correct - but I am not absolutely sure about it. So we'll just have to wait till the end to find out if I am or not.

Basically, religious dogma can be divided into two types: grace based (Christianity) and works based (every other religion that ever came into the purview of Man). Art has a new religion: nothing based.

While Christians put their faith in grace as the establishing factor of a relationship between God and Man, and all other religions put their faith in works for the same reason, Art says no one needs to do or believe anything--indeed no faith is required at all--to be placed on the fast track to Nirvana (the ultimate unfolding of the holographic universe).

The risk Art takes is that by the time he determines if his dogma is correct ("I guess I'll know when I get there"), he has neither accepted grace nor performed sufficient works to get to the place he wants so desperately to be when he dies. He could believe what he believes--and make no mistake, he believes something--about the holographic universe while still relying on grace and be leagues ahead of where he is with respect to his place in the ultimate unfolding of the holographic universe.

Believing in "it doesn't matter what you believe" isn't a risk I'm willing to take. Knowing I can never be sufficiently this or do sufficiently that (works) to gain the acceptance of Him who created me, and after critically examining the tenets of the world's main religions with a common sense approach to a Supreme Being, I decided not to rely on my own understanding of the universe but instead accept the grace freely offered and described in the tenets of Christianity.

I wish Art could see that it's possible to feel 100% sure of his fate. The task before him is to lay down his arms and surrender to grace. It's the opposite of "doing" but not antithetical to thinking. Indeed, when properly understood, Christianity is the thinking man's religion.

http://usminc.org/images/MereChristianitybyCSLewis.pdf
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.