Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
JP writes: <Somehow, I don't think the PRC's increasing 'openess' Ganni mentions(and thanks for these tidbits, Ganni; really appreciate info 'from ground level' as it were) extends to the people of Taiwan, does it?>

Ganni: Yes, Taiwan is a special case for the PRC censors and cheap propaganda will always dictate the way chinese press is allowed to talk about it. Personally I dont think this is going to change in the short run (but so does the news coverage of the iraq war by CNN). So it's not that only the chinese are stretching the truth to their advantage.
Just the chinese do it more obvious and without hesitating to acknowledge the same.
My point was more the enthusiasm I feel after several years in Asia and especially in China to see the pace of how it is opening up.
It's amazing that today you can see US news on chinese TV! Ok still they show commercials when they show iraq coverage but who would have thought that in a communist country you could ever see news like that.
Don't forget that not until long ago the chinese were looked at similar as the North Korean by the US today.
But due to the efforts of the party to open up and not to restrict entrepernism, it is possible to see such radical changes.

JP writes: <I think (Ganni, tell me if I'm wrong) that in China the removal of California's previous governor at the insistence of the people was covered in the media, wasn't it?>

Ganni: Yes, actually they were showing the US news coverage with chinese subtitles. Now I cannot read chinese so I dont know if the written information equaled the spoken english but I assume many chinese can.

JP writes: <The people of Taiwan will be freely electing their President...again...soon. Will that be covered 'fairly'?>

Ganni: I dont know until I have seen it but I assume news about Taiwan will always be censored to the needs of the party. But with the current pace of opening up you can be sure that in the mid run (I am thinking about the next 2-3 years) it will not be covered up any more.
Lets see it is defenitely an experience and I am happy to be at a place that is developing such dynamic. I truly believe the pace could even increase shortly before 2005. But with the imposing of the quotas (as decided yesterday) we are facing a challenging time for the next few month. China today already released news that they are rethinking their announced buying spree of american products (ranging from BOing jets to farm products) promised to take place in Dec with the intend to ease the trade deficit the US has with China.
US politicians for sure know how to make policies that are backfiring on them.

just my 2 cents..... got to catch my ferry back to Hong Kong now

Ganni
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.