Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
jps said in part:
If a flower to be painted has a particular kind of beauty, it perhaps benefits from a good and even studious acquaintance, but only up to a point; it also needs somehow to tap the geist of all that is laying latent in it (which I have missed to date, precisely because I have been too analytical).

In reply to my:
If you want to understand flowers, I suggest one of two things; Grow a vagina or spend more time studying one (or two or whatever.) A more beautiful flower is hard to find.

First, I did not mean that women as a gender has some ordained capability for beauty not present in a man. But that is the small point, really.

It might not be obvious, but we seem to be saying the same thing. I guess my mistake in communication was in choosing the word study. I certainly study many things, but the way I study the subject of my original post is quite different than the way I study those other things. I think you describe it better by use of the phrase "tap the geist." I definitely did not mean to imply anything mechanical. Far from it. More often than not, I feel more like an artist than a technician when I am studying my favorite beautiful and delicious flower.

Rick
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.