Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
jrr, I also have a question about one of your early steps:

So #7 can offer the plan: "999 for me, 0 for #8, 1 for #9, none for #10." #8 votes in favor of the plan because it lets him live. #9 will vote in favor of the plan because he at least gets some gold out of it. #10 will vote against it, but it won't amount to anything. So #7 hopes things will get to step 7! He can win if he gets there!

This situation comes up a lot in tax and estate planning. "If we (7 and 9) cooperate, then we can split $1000 in tax savings - if we don't cooperate, the IRS (10) gets all of it."

In my experience, the guy who has more leverage gets the bulk of the money. Here, 9 has more leverage because 7 is certain to die if 9 votes against, but 9 may not die if he and 10 are left.

So if 9 says to 7, "Give me $999 or I'm voting against you," wouldn't a rational 7 give it to 9 rather than dying to spite 9?

I'm probably making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

dan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.