No. of Recommendations: 0
jrr7 writes:

I seem to vaguely recall some provision that if you took a lump-sum distribution from a retirement plan, you could spread out the tax payments over several years. You might want to research that.

Income averaging of lump sum when everything has been disributed by an employer from from the same type of plan (i.e., defined benefit or defined contribution)in the same year is now available only to those who were age 50 or older on January 1, 1986. Those folks may use ten-year averaging as described in IRS Publication 575 (Annuity and Pension Income) available for download at For everyone else, income averaging is no longer available.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.