Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
July 1 I will have enough money to increase my BRKA shares by 10 shares. My question is the timing of this?

If you were me, you would buy all 10 shares that day because it is so auspicious. It is my birthday. Of course, this would not apply to you.

One way to look at is to take account of all those people who sell in the spring and buy back in the fall. If there are significant numbers of these, you might get a better price in the summer for buying. For example if large mutual funds or pension funds do this. I do not know if people follow that strategy or not. Lots talk about it. I never backtested it.

Or you could dollar cost average into it, one share at a time until your free cash is used up.

I have over half my investments in Berkshire, more than one of their directors . Actually, more than two of them (if what I read is correct). But I do not believe Mr. Buffett would want me on the board, and I do not think I have much to contribute.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.