No. of Recommendations: 2
Jumping into the middle here...

Usenet is free. Since everybody is already paying an ISP and most ISPs offer broad access to many newsgroups, and since new newsgroups can be set up with varying degrees of difficulty (hard in the "misc" hierarchy, easier in the "alt" hierarchy), everything that goes on in TMF could take place in Usenet.

I've been using these boards and putting up with the ads because the navigation is easier than a newsreader. But not by all that much. And Google allows searches of archived Usenet messages just like this board does.

I haven't used Usenet for investment discussion but I have used it for other, serious topics and it can be a heck of a resource. And NOBODY owns it. Now, if you want something closely resembling the policing involved in this system, you might want moderated newsgroups, and I have never explored what is involved in setting one up. But anyway, the question came up so there's an answer: Usenet is free and it's not Yahoo.

Before leaving the point, let me say that I like this system -- but it has limitations. I don't want it to change but its hold on me is tenuous. As has been noted, one has to double-check much of what one reads here, and the best of what one finds comes from a relatively small number of contributors. I believe that it is a delicate balance that keeps such folks hanging around, and I don't know why the owners felt they should tinker with it at a time like this.

Just a comment. Hope I'm not repeating something that was just said -- this board moves fast. :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

Community Town Hall
Banter, potshots, and all the stuff we said you can't post on ITF. Why not try it?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.