Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Last year while in CA I was on Jury Duty for 13 days. At $15 per paid day (the first day wasn't) I received a total of $180, plus $24.48 for mileage.

I have the check stubs that say this, but didn't receive a 1099. We had since moved to a different state, and it's possible it didn't get properly forwarded or got lost in the mail.

Pub 525 says

Jury duty pay you receive must be included in your income on Form 1040, line 21. (and then some stuff about what to do if you give it to your employer, which isn't applicable to me)

Is there a reason why I didn't receive a 1099, such as a cutoff below a certain value that they don't care.

Alternately, for reporting it should I just report the per diem, or should I also include the mileage. I see from an old thread a suggestion on what to do if the mileage was included on the 1099, but since I didn't receive one in the first place I don't know which value to report.

If it's borderline, I'd rather be on the safe side. It's not a large amount of money, but this year my total tax bill will be high and I'd rather not have the stress of an audit due to a little discrepancy.

Thanks

Aaron
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.