Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1

Just another WiFi hobo link. I find this interesting. I hope someone who knows more than I about it comments on it. I'm wondering if there are significant ramifications.

Then, on June 24, Hammersley's friend, information architect Matt Jones, posted a set of rune-like symbols to his Web site designed to alert Internet users when and where wireless broadband was available. The idea: Create a set of international road signs to the Internet. Two half-moons chalked on a pavement or a wall indicate that a connection is available. A full circle informs would-be surfers that the node is closed.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2002/tc2002073_1130.htm

When I say "significant ramifications" I don't mean financially. There aren't many signficant financial ramifications to being a hobo. But I mean socially and culturally. I'm wondering if, say, I can now go to Paris and easily hook up online for free instead of using net cafes. I'm wondering if I can go from point to point in LA and post in the middle of my day while I'm putzing around. But yes, maybe also professionally. I'm wondering if I can take my Vaio to the right library that's near a node and send my email from the node without signing up for a library computer and without going home.

jps, prospective wireless hobo
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.