Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Last week a fifty-seven year old mechanic in rural New Mexico hit the Powerball for $62 million, but he says that first he's going take a few weeks to finish all the outstanding jobs at his auto repair business before he retires. I have to admire the work ethic and personal emotional grounding he displays at a life changing time like this. I often hear of lottery winners who say that they'll still keep there jobs, that their winnings will make them comfortable but not change their lives. I usually find this hard to believe, but I somehow believe this guy. He's set an easy to achieve goal to honor previous commitments and close the previous chapter of his life. Though if I were his financial advisor I'd tell him to hire a mechanic on his own to finish the jobs. If my car was at his shop I would consider taking it elsewhere, an independently wealthy mechanic who doesn't depend on repeat business might not be so concerned that every bolt is properly tightened.

Many big winners ultimately consider their jackpot a curse rather than a blessing because they aren't prepared for the changes wrought. They fall prey to hucksters, blow it all on cars, boats and houses, or freely indulge in drug and/or gambling addictions. Families are torn apart when the winners relatives try to grab their "share".

If I ever win the lottery I don't think I'll even call in to work. My boss will just have to be left to wonder where the hell I am. He might call my house and then try my cell phone but neither of those numbers would ever be picked up again. He'll figure it out when I'm on the news.

Before the winner in New Mexico came forward the lottery authority suggested that the holder of the winning ticket line up the appropriate legal and financial advice. I would do that, but also sublet my apartment and move everything I own into storage during the middle of the night, sleeping in a different hotel every night. My wife can come too if she wants. I hope nearly all of my family and most of my friends have good memories because they'll probably never see my face again. I might not want to see them but I don't want them to forget what I look like.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.