Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Just because a return goes through one year, ...

I absolutely agree with that.
For that matter has the IRS even really started sending out letters for 2012 or doing in depth audits?
Isn't today the last day to file a 2012 return (with extension)?
I thought I saw posts on here around March 2013 about IRS letters due to 2011 tax forms.
So "goes through" probably just means that it made it past the "did he do his arithmetic correctly?" checks - not that it isn't still subject to "please provide documentation for item X on your return"

If it were me, I'd file the amended return and pay the $10 (or whatever)

Yeah it sucks that you don't get to take the loss as a deduction - but look at it this way - you wouldn't have had to pay taxes on any gains <$250K either.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.