Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Just curious, how does the IRS know the total assets of millionaires ? (or anyone, for that matter)

All the documentation that I, or my banks, or brokerages supply to the IRS doesn't contain the numbers they need for that purpose.

I suspect that

1) most businesses depreciate assets, and have to file a tax return....and for a single owner, the 'profits' of the business translate into the income....there is a link.

2) Most millionaires probably have interest and dividend income, as well as cap gains distributions on funds......simple to 'reverse' engineer if you are getting $100,000 in bond interest where you are at.

3) All money that goes into a 401K or IRA, to be tax deferred, is listed year after year on your tax return....so they cummulatively know how much you have squirreled away...waiting for the time they get their taxes.

4) they know how much 'debt' you have since you itemize it, most likely, to take the deduction for interest.

And I suppose anyone who has an income over 1 million a year, they figure has assets of 1 million.....

Dunno exactly..... they have their ways, I'm sure....

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.