Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Just getting back to the thread - thanks for the replies and the helpful info. Didn't realize it is just an IRA, and I am glad for the rules explanation.

Just a couple follow-up questions if I may.

I am going to contribute to this account to offset some extra income. This year I almost had to pay but had a small refund. Every dollar I put into this IRA (as opposed to my Roth IRA), can I expect that much added to my refund next year, assuming ideally everything is the same? (I am just making that assumption to illustrate the principle at work.) Example: if I received $50 back and put in $100, will I receive $150? Or maybe it doesn't work that way?

My second question involves opening another IRA at a different brokerage, where I have my Roth. I like that brokerage better. I just want to be sure: I can do that, just open up another one, even though there is this existing one? (Cool thing about that too is I can use two for different strategies.) But...do I have to keep track of how much I put in vis a vis the limit, or will both IRAs be linked in that sense...will both know how much I put in and tell me how much I have left to go? In other words, if I put in $100 in one, will the limit go down in both counters? I didn't know if somehow they will be linked to the IRS and each will realize what the other one is receiving in terms of deposits.

Thanks again...
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.