Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I only have 40-50K left in 401k, as we got smashed in the crash of 2008. Rising stars is consisting of 40 stocks. Am I supposed to invest the full 50 k evenly to each stock? $1000 to each stock for example?
I know its such a small amount, but that is all I have to work with. please advise!!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
DLsun, this is a public board for the discussion of 401ks. For a service-specific conversation, please join your fellow Rising Stars Fools and your service analysts in your service-specific discussion boards by selecting your premium service from the My Services menu in the upper right corner of this page, then selecting the Community tab.

Fuskie
Who is a bit surprised your 401k didn't recover from the Great Recession over a decade ago as his investments had pretty much bounced back by 2010...

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), DHX Media (DHXM), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
No. of Recommendations: 1
DLsun,

You wrote, I only have 40-50K left in 401k, as we got smashed in the crash of 2008. ...

That was 11 years ago. Since the height (not low) of the market before that crash, the S&P 500 has returned an average annual total return (includes dividends) of 10.8%/year. Total return for that period was 209.216%. A $50,000 index fund investment in the S&P 500 on October 1st, 2008 would be worth about $150,460 today.

I'm guessing you bailed and sat out what has probably been the single longest and largest stock market recovery in history. <sarcasm> Naturally now is the very best time to jump back in with both feet and follow someone else's advice to by some individual stocks so you can finally make up your losses. </sarcasm>

- Joel
Sorry, but I can't help myself.
I clearly remember posts from people that bailed after the tech crash that were jumping back in during the bull market just months before Lehman Brother's filed for bankruptcy
... and the market flushed itself down the toilet for a year or two.