Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
just mailed my GA taxes yesterday and I just noticed I messed up. I claimed a credit for state income tax paid to NY. But I wasn't reading carefully enough to notice that I was supposed to send a copy of my NY return along with my GA return. D'oh!

(Particularly boneheaded because the fact that the GA return section on this doesn't ask what state the tax paid in, just how much it was. Rather a clue there.)

So what do I do now?

Wait until they contact you. If you sent a copy now, it would be a miracle if it got associated with your original return. When they ask for it there will be some sort of reference which will enable them to quickly associate it.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.