Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Maybe it's because the calender has signaled that 'Summer' has officially begun. Or maybe it's because the past month's market action has been such a downer. But stocks are up a bit this morning for reasons I don't really understand. There isn't anything of substance that one could call "good news". Instead, we're in an inflationary/stagflationary recession and likely headed for a depression. So it's time to do some portfolio review and to maybe get defensive.

If one borrows Ben Graham's three terms --Defensive, Enterprising, Speculative-- and assigns bond ratings to them, the following schedule emerges:

Defensive (AAA-AA)
Enterprising (A-BBB)
Speculative (BB and lower)

No portfolio doesn't carry a bit of cash, and not every investment works out well. So let's add two more categories to that schedule.

Cash & Equivalents
Defensive
Enterprising
Speculative
Non-performing

Next comes the tricky part, assigning weightings to those five categories according to one's own specific means, needs, interests, skills, goals, and objectives. These are the weightings I favor compared to what one of my portfolios actually looks like, my margin account at ET that hold only bonds .

Targets: Actual:

Cash & Equivalents 0% Cash & Equivalents 7.6%
Defensive 50% Defensive 52.2%
Enterprising 33% Enterprising 28.6%
Speculative 17% Speculative 11.3%
Non-performing 0% Non-preforming 0.4%

Here are some concrete, actually held examples of each of my categories (which needn't be --and probably won't be-- the same as yours).

Cash equivalent? a 13-wk T-Bill.
Defensive? Tigard OR Water Sys 5's of '31.
Enterprising? Prospect Cap's 6-3/8's of '25.
Speculative? Tilray's 5's of '23 convert.
Non-performing? Venezuela's 9.25's of '27

My takeaway is this (with respect to this specific portfolio). Due to rising interest-rates, I'm getting clobbered on the prices of my bonds, as should be understood and expected. But as long as they continue to perform, I'll make the money from them that I expected to make, and I don't need to do anything. As to what I bet on Venezuela, my basis is tiny and just the cost of doing business.

So, just six more portfolios to grind through, some of which hold quite a few preferreds and ETFs, though not many stocks.

Arindam
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.