Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Just my .02 on satellite broadband...

I'm not sure you need a truck roll for it. I self-installed my Dish network satellite TV setup, no problem. (Well, you need to be able to use a compass, a level and a protractor) There's no lines to check the condition of, right?
Where I am, I'll probably never have either DSL or cable, so it's my only choice. I'm paying $40 for Dish network and will probably soon add a second phone line which I'm guessing is another $30. So $100 a month actually sounds pretty reasonable.
So, can starband make money at $100 without truck rolls?
And, anyone that has starband, how is it?
They appear to have the goal of 50kbps up/ 150k down at peak times. Even though the modem can do 50K, at peaks I often am only getting 1K or so actually due to (I presume) ISP congestion.
OTOH, if I paid $100 a month and it got popular, and the shared BW dropped and I still suffered ISP (as opposed to connection) limitations, I'd be pretty unhappy. Guess I'm a pragmatist....

== dj
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.