No. of Recommendations: 17
Just one person's real life example...

First, after I retired 13 years ago at 62, I soon found out that I did not need as much to live on as most opinions/examples led me to believe. So I began living on my pension and social security.

Then, my withdrawals were not based on any percentage, they were based on what type of vacations/trips I wanted to take. My investments were/are probably in the 60/40 stock to bond/cash range.

Then after you pass 70 1/2, you have a bit less control over the withdrawal percentage since Uncle Fingers tells you how much you need to take with the RMD (depending on where your investments are).

This scenario is based on not having any large debt; mortgage or otherwise.

Sometimes I think a lot of this is over-analyzed. I did go through a lot of this including how much insurance I needed, what kind of returns I needed, etc. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made if the numbers were altered slightly.

I've been blessed and had a good life. You can't predict illness, death, coronaviruses, etc.
Do what let's you sleep at night.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.