Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Just reporting back here. I did take the plunge and ended up buying the 590 on Saturday. I attended a Bernina webinar earlier in the week where they were talking about the new 5 series, and the 590 had a few really nice embroidery features that the 570 did not have. My dealer got their 570 in during the week, and so when I sent up to buy the 570 on Saturday, I asked about the price difference with the 590. Turns out that there was also a sale, and that brought the delta between the 2 down, and it put the 590 exactly at my budget. They threw in a few more things that I wanted (patchwork foot, edging foot, walking foot, handful of bobbins and the insert for my cabinet), and so I was very happy.

I have started to set up the machine, and will probably hopefully get to sew on it tonight. Of course, I am in the middle of a mystery quilt project, so I need to come up to speed quickly.

Now, I am thinking that I really should get one of those rolling cases to bring it to classes and such. I found a very nice set online, but although the sewing machine will fit in the bottom case, it doesn't look like the embroidery module will fit in the smaller case. I will call the dealer today and ask about the Bernina case as those are currently on sale. And I see one on sale at Joanne Fabric, so I will probably go look at that.

Question for you Bernina owners who have the bigger bobbin - how do you store and organize those? I have one of those plastic bobbin cases that I've used for years, and I could probably get another of those. Is that the best way? They seem to make a big deal about not scratching the silver side of the bobbin, and I am thinking this would keep them separate. So what do other folks do?

I am thoroughly looking forward to learning how to use the new machine. They have a class this week, but I think I am going to do the ones in early January instead to give me a chance to acclimate to the machine a bit first so that I can make the most of the classes.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.