Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Just so you are clear:

You can NOT put the money in a 529. That allows you to control money beyond majority and if your child does ott go to college you could potentially spend the money on someone else.

You must put the monwy in the same UGMA/UTMA you had in the first place. If absolutely necessary it could be a bank account, although from other posts it sounds like that is not necessary and some fund companies will allow a $1400 deposit. But you cannot create any account which would tie up the money beyond ge 18 (21 in some states) or which allows a possibility that you could get the money back or it go to some third person.

Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.