No. of Recommendations: 0
Just sold my life's work of a company - I have $5MM, am 75 years old w/ no kids and required expenses are $40,000 per year (but I may spend $100,000 and do some travel and volunteer work) - my only concern is capital preservation.

Kelly,

You fail again to understand what is at issue here, because you fail define a crucial term, "capital preservation."

Yes, to pay a premium to buy a bond is to spend more present-day dollars to buy less future-dollars. So one type of capital loss does occur. But the price of the bond is only part of the picture. The other part is the income-stream from coupons. Both have to be kept in mind when buying bonds. Both have to be kept in mind when measuring capital losses.

You --and everyone else who chooses to look at this issue differently-- are free to invest how you choose. In fact, I'd encourage you to do so. The fewer people there are who understand how to use bonds effectively, the less competition the rest of us have and the better absolute-returns and the better risk-adjusted returns we can achieve.

So I thank you for your reply. ROTFL

Charlie
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.