Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Just to add to AJ's response because you had asked about Medicare income limits in the previous thread, be aware that any money you convert from your 457 plan to a Roth IRA is considered taxable income, and so you want to watch that you don't go over the Medicare income threshold due to your conversions.

I am in the process of converting from a Traditional IRA to a Roth, and am planning on going close to the maximum Medicare income threshold so have been paying attention to this. Remember, too, that the MAGI for Medicare is your AGI from your 1040 plus any tax exempt interest that would not be included in your AGI on your 1040.

I have a spreadsheet that I'm using to calculate what we can convert, so if you plan to be close to the threshold, you may want to build something like that to help you.

Just one more thing for you to be considering.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.