No. of Recommendations: 2
Just to be clear, this FOTH discusses two different benchmarks: 15% earnings growth for businesses and 15% investment return target for investors.

My idea of a great LONG term earnings growth is 8% (i'm thinking KO). A person would have to be innumerate to not find SUSTAINABLE 15% earnings growth ridiculous in the extreme. 15% returns on capital are not ridiculous, however, regardless of earnings growth. But i digress...

I have some thoughts on why 15% average annualized return is a common goal for the individual investor:

* If you believe that the long term average return for equities is 11% (i don't, but many do), then 15% is a nice round number to shoot for if you're trying to beat the market. As Mr. Mann pointed out, 13% returns ain't exactly chicken feed... but 13 is such an unlucky number... better make it 15.

* Your money doubles almost exactly every 5 years at 15%. It "only" doubles every 5-2/3 years at 13%. Round number thing again. Makes it easier to figure up how long it is going to take you to get rich.

* The man who is deified (rightfully, imo) in the investment world has long had 15% annualized investment returns as his goal. He happens to have done a great deal better than that so far, actually. He is the standard for many.

Anyway, i agree that 15% is a difficult target. I do not believe it is impossible. I think it really comes down to the times in which you live, how patient you are, and your capital base (not a significant factor for the vast majority of participants). If "mr. market" is really emotional, then 15% is probably doable. In times of relative economic stablity, i understand that prices are pretty rational*. 10% returns might look good in this situation.

So, i guess the questions are:

1. Should an investor wait for the market to give a price that will offer 15% returns?

2. If so, how long should that wait be?

3. What if the market has learned something, finally, and never offers such a price on any business worth owning?

4. Would it have been better to shoot for lower returns to start with?

i guess the answer to #3 is the rub.

Sorry for the desultory style, i'm sort of hashing out some ideas i've had in my head lately. I am interested in others' thoughts...

*from Security Analysis, 1st ed., iirc.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.