No. of Recommendations: 0
Just to clarify, this is what I'm reading:
* Your employer contributes an amount equal to 10% of your salary.
* This is not taken out of your paycheck, but paid by the company.

If that's the case, then these appear to be employer contributions. My answers below are based on that conclusion.

1. Does this count as a bonus when time to withdrawl?
"Bonus" doesn't really mean anything in the context of taxes. Withdrawals from a Traditional 401(k) are taxed as ordinary income, regardless of the source (employer contributions, employee deferrals, capital gains, etc.) If you take a withdrawal before reaching age 59-1/2, you may be subject to penalties as well.

2. Does this effect how much I can put into a 401(k)?
No. Your elective contributions are limited to $15,500 for 2007 (assuming you're under 50, and otherwise fully eligible to participate), regardless of the amount of employer contributions.

3. Can this be converted into a Roth 401(k)?
Employer contributions are classified as pre-tax. I believe the employer can amend the 401(k) Plan to reflect these as Roth contributions, but I doubt they'd want to give up their tax break. Once you've left the company, you could roll the funds into a Rollover IRA, then convert that into a Roth IRA. This, however, would most likely be a taxable event. I don't believe there's any way to change the tax status of 401(k) assets while you're still working there.

Keep in mind that I also contribute 10% of my salary to a ROTH 401(k) and max out a ROTH IRA.
IRA contributions don't affect 401(k) deferrals; assuming you're otherwise eligible, there's no reason you can't defer $15,500 in a 401(k) and $4,000 in an IRA**.

--
Raven
** Assuming you're under age 50, and talking about calendar year 2007.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.