Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 21
Just to help address:-

If Sea's e-commerce business is "asset-light" and they don't own the inventory, how can they have negative gross margin in the e-commerce segment? Does anyone here understands the drivers?

And agree that even 3p margins now are very low and I don't have an answer on that.

They don't have negative gross margin but wafer thin positivegross margin. What they do have is massive negative net margins - this is driven by the $400m+ spend in sale and marketing each quarter.

I think that I've mentioned this before... they have the most enormous online/offline, print and on air advertising budget I have seen in the 12 years in Singapore - Lazada is non-existent by comparison. Having Christiano Ronaldo as their brand ambassador across their campaigns undoubtedly costs them a fortune too.

We have all seen what Amazon and Shopify is prepared to do to invest in growth and forsake profitability - Shopee takes this to another level that I have never seen before.

Ant
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.