Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Just to play devil's advocate here.

My Dad "retired" early - somewhere in his 50s. Although he liked it, he had not planned on his friends not being able to "play" whenever he wanted to. It made the first 10 years of retirement a bit challenging.

My first retirement was at 44 - I wanted to beat my Dad. Although it was my choice, I was not ready and went back to work a year later - only PT though. Second retirement was at 61 and the final was this year. And, I am considering volunteering because I am bored.

The point of all this is to encourage your friend to really ponder what he/wife are going to do with all the free time. Unless he plans to hang out with people who are 20 yrs older, he is going to find it lonely.

Some of the decision is about money. Most of it will end up being about the way you spend your time.

Good Luck.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.