Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Just to re-state Phil's comments.
To file as Head od Household, you must have a Household to be Head of.
In this case, as the son is permanently and totally disabled, there is no age limits for him to be claimed as a dependant.
The next criteria is does the child actually pay more than half of his own support. How much he earns is not the criteria. If he, for instance, saves all of his paycheck for future support when his Mom is no longer available, then he is paying nothing for his own current support and qualifies as a dependant child.
Remember, the criteria is how much he pays towards current household expenses, not how much he earns.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.