Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Just trying to make sure I have this right. If I have capital gains from the sale of a rent house, I can off-set them with capital losses from the sale of shares of stock?


Both of these are long term capital gains and losses. Both having been held for a few years. (I think long term gains and losses, items have to be held for over a year for them to be long term?)


Let's say I have capital gains from the sale of the rent house of $20,000. I can off-set those gains by selling an equal amount of losing shares of stock?

To be precise, by selling enough shares TO PRODUCE A LOSS OF $20,000.

Now, let's say the stock loss is greater than $20,000. Let's say $30,000. I can then carry over the remaining $10,000 at $3,000 per year on my taxes? (I am not sure of the amount of $3000)

Yes. And $3,000 is the correct amount.

But I can initially use the loss of $20,000 in the same year as I sold the rent house?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.