Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[Just wondering . . . . Is the foreign earned income credit partially optional? In
other words, can eligible taxpayers forego part of the credit in order to generate
earned income to contribute to an IRA? If so, a no-lose strategy would be to
forego $2000 of the credit and use the IRA deduction to avoid taxation on the
money. ]]

It appears so. I was asked this question last summer, and my research indicated that the foreign EI exclusion was an election, and you can elect as much or as little as you would like. Which would certainly make this strategy viable.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.