Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Breaking News...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 20
This is huge.

Does it change the current make up? No.

But a 40 something progressive justice is decades better than an 83 progressive justice.

A female black justice, as Biden promised, would be a huge win.

Thank you Justice Breyer.

AW
No. of Recommendations: 4
Barrett was confirmed 30 days after being nominated.

I say we go for a new record.

AW
And this is why we have to accept the garbage from Manchin and Simena.

Imagine what a nightmare it would be if Mitch was majority leader.
No. of Recommendations: 5
AlphaWolf: Barrett was confirmed 30 days after being nominated.

I say we go for a new record.

Please, no. Let the media make this their headline story for several weeks. And let the White House get the nominee to meet with senators and get the Senate votes in line before hearings even begin. Aside from ACB being unqualified, Trump's timeline was a joke.

I kinda' like Leondra Kruger but Kentaji Brown Jackson is probably a better choice. Jackson was confirmed to the US Court of Appeals in 2021 by a 53-44 vote (so very recent Senate review), with Collins, Murkowski, and Graham voting in her favor. She was Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia from 2013-2021. She's 51. Plus, she clerked for Breyer.
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Breaking News... "

How?

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'd be a lot more excited if it was one of the conservatives retiring.
No. of Recommendations: 5
kenm47: How?

Seriously?

1. The announcement just broke, a minute before I posted... so, no details, yet. Literally, 'breaking news'.

2. Recently, Breyer has been clear that his retirement would come when he was good and ready, would not be influenced by politics, and that he had no plans to retire.
OK. But seemed to me as breaking as "Ice Melts."

Ken
Literally, 'breaking news'.

As my dear ol' mom used to say, NE, consider the source. Of COURSE it's breaking news - much more than the incessant daily, hourly "Breaking News" headlines splashed across our monitors and iPhones and Androids all the time.

Also, I'm with you on Leondra Kruger, if only because she is half a decade younger than Jackson, but you're right that it would probably be easier for Jackson to get confirmed since she has been already for the lower court.

Pete
Having race or gender as the primary reason for picking a Supreme Justice instead of qualifications is a real shame.
Breyer has been clear that his retirement would come when he was good and ready, would not be influenced by politics, and that he had no plans to retire.

Maybe he had a "visit" from the Ghost of Supreme Court Past.
No. of Recommendations: 22
jjbklb: Having race or gender as the primary reason for picking a Supreme Justice instead of qualifications is a real shame.

Right. Because the 100+ white male supreme court justices never got a boost by being white and male.
No. of Recommendations: 6
A female black justice, as Biden promised, would be a huge win.

A female black justice, as Biden promised, will be a huge win.

Fixed it for you. ;-)
It will be refreshing to have a diverse court but we need even more variety since 6 of those white justices are extremely conservative. That doesn’t reflect the true diversity of the US.
No. of Recommendations: 17
Having race or gender as the primary reason for picking a Supreme Justice instead of qualifications is a real shame.

Sucking up to the sitting President is also a lousy reason to pick a Supreme Court Justice. It's also a shame to spend more than half a year refusing to give a qualified nominee a hearing in the Senate. Vote against seating the nominee? Fine. But refuse to even give him a hearing? Not fine.

For every USCC opening, there are many qualified potential candidates. I'd argue that wanting to make the justices of the Supreme Court resemble the make-up of the country is a reasonable goal. As long as the candidate is well-qualified, of course.

--Peter

Opposing a highly qualified candidate primarily because of their race and/or gender is even more of a shame.
I apologize for my earlier post. Having heard more about it now, and the possibility of Biden being able to get it done while the Dems still have 50 Senate votes, I realize it is a bigger deal than just an old timer finally hanging it up, particularly in light of RBG's failure to do so while Obama was still POTUS.

Fingers crossed it goes as hoped.

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 13

For the first 205 years of our country, the primary reason for picking a Supreme Justice was race and gender (white and male).

It took talking about black and female before you realized it’s a real shame?

AW
Can you name one in recent history where that's happened?
I can name one that about to happen in the near future.
Age should not determine who is nominated, but it is a major consideration with lifetime appointments. SCOTUS needs term limits. Nominating someone who is 5 years younger could give that person 5 more years on SCOTUS. For such critical final review roles, age of the candidate should not be a consideration. Instead, retirements have to be planned around who happens to be POTUS. No other major country does it this way. The bad recent decisions that have flimsy legal basis show that a change is needed.

--- links ----
Justice Breyer's retirement highlights what's wrong with the Supreme Court, January 27, 2022
"The over-concentration of power in a small group of people makes their particular points of view have an extraordinary effect upon our country."
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/justice-breyer-s-retir...

Term Limits for the Supreme Court: Life Tenure Reconsidered, May 26, 2006
“the American system of life tenure for Supreme Court Justices have been rejected by all other major democratic nations in setting up their highest constitutional courts... the average tenure of a Supreme Court Justice from 1789 through 1970 was 14.9 years, for those Justices who have retired since 1970, the average tenure has jumped to 26.1 years."
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=701121

Supreme Court Nominations https://www.senate.gov/legislative/nominations/SupremeCourtN...
        Nominee         Nominated        Vote       Confirmed  years on SCOTUS  Date of Birth  age now  age when nominated
Barrett, Amy Coney 29-Sep-20 52-48  No.  224 26-Oct-20 1 28-Jan-72 50 48
Kavanaugh, Brett 10-Jul-18 50-48  No.  223 6-Oct-18 3 12-Feb-65 56 53
Gorsuch, Neil M. 1-Feb-17 54-45  No.  111 7-Apr-17 4 29-Aug-67 54 49
Kagan, Elena 10-May-10 63-37  No.  229 5-Aug-10 11 28-Apr-60 61 50
Sotomayor, Sonia 1-Jun-09 68-31  No.  262 6-Aug-09 12 25-Jun-54 67 54
Alito, Samuel A., Jr. 10-Nov-05 58-42  No.  2 31-Jan-06 16 1-Apr-50 71 55
Roberts, John G., Jr.1 6-Sep-05 78-22  No.  245 29-Sep-05 16 27-Jan-55 67 50
Breyer, Stephen G. 17-May-94 87-9  No.  242 29-Jul-94 27 15-Aug-38 83 55
Thomas, Clarence 8-Jul-91 52-48  No.  220 15-Oct-91 30 23-Jun-48 73 43