Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A fairly large number of Wife's extended family leased a piece of land to an oil company in 2012. One member of the family who is a lawyer set up an LLC.

To keep the math simple, wife's share of the total rental in 2012 would have been $1,100, but the lawyer only sent us $1,000 in 2012 because he is withholding this amount from each member until we get a problem settled with people who contend that they should also be members of the LLC.

The lawyer sent us a K-1 form (1065). When I fill out my taxes according to the entries on the K-1, I find that we are being taxed on the $1,100 dollars instead of the $1,000 we actually received.*

This doesn't seem right to me. There is no assurance that we will ever receive the missing $100.00. I'm wondering if the K-1 was done correctly and how we should handle our taxes since April 15, is getting very close.

*(The lawyer, who is not a CPA, is quite certain that we owe taxes on the $1,100)

How should we proceed?
Ted in Texas - a community property state.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.