No. of Recommendations: 0
Karen and Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply. I posted this on the W&I board as well and have gotten some great feedback there as well.

The way we split the financial handling is that I pay the fixed bills, and she pays the food, day care, and her expenses. We wind up sending 200 each month to an emergency fund which we started a couple of months ago. It's up to 850. This is a great positive step for us. But we will be dipping into it for our child's day care starting in September. (We have to pay an enrollment fee and place a refundable deposit.) That's okay because that's why we have an emergency fund.

She works and earns about 13K. That's her money to pay $200 for two days of daycare. (In September we're increasing the daycare by an extra 2 half days because I'm going back to school for 2 nights and she is going for 1 night. I'm getting a raise and will pay for the extra daycare.) She also uses her money for her expenses and other child expenses. Then she uses $600 from my paycheck for food and other household expenses.

We've talked about tracking expenses, but she is completely against that. I think this is part of the problem for me because I sense that there is a lot of cash flow that just seems to disappear over the course of the month.

<<2. Respond with: " honey, you've been so busy with work and the kids, I noticed the paper tiger on your desk keeps growing. Do you want some help with it? Maybe I could help you catch up, or at least cook dinner and watch the kids so you can have some quiet office time." This is what I would want to hear. >>

Great idea Karen, I think I'll give that a try someday.

Mike

Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.